Founded in 1992 by the Lesbian Community Project, the Amazon Dragons was established to promote a positive lesbian presence at the Portland Rose Festival dragon boat races. The Amazons Dragons have since grown into a competitive paddling club participating in races along the western coast of the United States and Canada. To see more about our history, click here: http://youtu.be/UyERjAWkWUc
A fun-loving, spirited group of women, the Amazons come together for community, fitness, friendship and competition. The ADPC welcomes all women 16 years and older.
Amazon Dragons Paddling Club is an organization which provides lesbians with camaraderie, fitness, and physical strength through competitive dragon boat racing. We convey positive lesbian visibility through competition, personal integrity, community service and good sportsmanship.
- Promote out and proud lesbian visibility
- Provide an arena for lesbians to congregate for the purpose of developing team skills and physical strength
- Promote a competitive, winning team through individual strength, fitness and sportsmanship
- Provide an environment which supports self-confidence and a positive self-image
- Encourage lesbians ages 16 and older to participate in dragon boat paddling
- Welcome women of all races, religions, backgrounds, ages, sexual orientations and economics
- Support team members in cross-training for various boat roles
- Give to the community through community service activities